Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, March 12, 2011

CMO very birdy today

It was a surprise to see both the male and female Lucifer Hummingbirds this morning for the first time this year. I had expected the male to arrive first. The only Black-chinned Hummingbirds here are the males.


There are the usual large number of sparrows for this time of year. Among them I located a Field Sparrow, several Brewer's, Lincoln's, Black-chinned, and some I'm not sure what they are.

I love Green-tailed Towhees and since they'll be leaving soon I thought I better take a photo of one.


I saw the badger that was seen by the Dortch's a couple of days ago (see Mar 10th post). I assume the Elf Owls have arrived even though I haven't seen or heard them yet. They don't call every night and I haven't looked for them in the evening. It's getting exciting around here.

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn, was the badger at the tank in front of the parking area? It was taking a nice, long, deep drink last time Matt and I visited your place and I was thrilled - it was only the second time I'd seen one not-crossing a road! Lovely critters =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I'd forgotten about you guys seeing it. The tank in front of the parking area is dry. The Dortch's saw it at the water feature by the blind, and I saw it along the road going up to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the Lucifer's showing. The last live Green-tailed Towhee we BOTH saw was at your place. Yeah, we do have that one in our freezer. :-(

    Nice to see some birds coming in. Fling a Scott's Oriole up to Marathon and lets get things going.

    Looking forward to another great season at your oasis.

    -matt

    ReplyDelete