Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cave Swallow distress

It was over 100° and not much bird activity so I put up my camera and was ready to leave the oasis when I heard 3 Cave Swallows come in. They crash landed in the stagnant puddle that's left in my tank. One clung to a twig sticking out above the water and the other two slowly fluttered their way to shore. I held my breath, ready to dive in to save them. (Well, since there's only a couple of inches of water, that's probably a little dramatic.) When I saw they were safe, I retrieved my camera.



Earlier today White-throated Swifts visited, and so did about 8 Cliff Swallows, but this is the first time any swallows, other than Barn Swallows, have landed, in or out of the water. Could it be they were trying to avoid a raptor, or do you think they were just hot and exhausted?

Other than that, all I photographed was this cooperative Yellow-breasted Chat.


1 comment:

  1. Strange swallow behavior indeed; do keep us posted as to off-list guesses and theories!

    ReplyDelete