Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Varied Thrush update

It's still here. It lacks just a couple of days of making it 3 months. Pretty awesome! Weekends attract quite a few visitors to the thrush. For those who come, the road has been worked some, so medium clearance should suffice.

It comes to this feeder under the dead cottonwood tree.


I hate that the can makes it hard to get a decent photo of the thrush, but I can't be there all the time and I don't want it to run out of sunflower seeds. All I could think of doing to keep that from happening is to fill a trash can with holes punched along the bottom. It's weighted and staked and so far javelina haven't ravaged it, although they try nightly. The thrush simply will not ascend to the hanging seed or grape feeders. You can sit fairly close to the feeder if you're still. In early morning or late afternoon it's pretty reliably seen. If it comes for grapes a good photo is much easier. You might have to sit still a couple of hours waiting though.

Today for the first time, I observed a mockingbird stealing a grape from the feeder, so I can no longer gauge the thrush's grape consumption. Quite frankly, I'm surprised it took the mockingbird so long to discover the grapes were a food source that it would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment