Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, July 13, 2013

New butterfly species at CMO

I arrived here at 7 AM, anxious to water my trees after having been gone for 4 days. I finally gave up on the watering for now because I kept getting distracted by odonates and butterflies. I knew immediately I had never seen this one before. I photographed it and looked it up. It's a Ruddy Daggerwing (Marpesia petreus). Cool!


It has obviously lived a very hard life up until now. Here it is as seen from below.



Also, I photographed a W Checkered Garter Snake, totally unaware that it had a frog in its mouth. Yuck!

Too tired to post more photos from today, but I had 3 species of damselflies today; Kiowa Dancer, Blue-fronted Dancer, and Powdered Dancer. There's always tomorrow. An oasis in the desert is a fascinating place!


No comments:

Post a Comment