Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, December 15, 2018

♫ Feral hogs ♫ are coming to town ♫♫

Whether your fence is good or bad, feral hogs are coming to town.  My husband saw six of them in our backyard habitat this morning. Couldn't find where they went through the fence, but they did. Here's where they rooted under an oak tree.


My husband traps them at a ranch outside of town, then last year he saw some here and moved his trap here but didn't catch any. I think he needs to move his trap back here again. He has one in his trap right now outside town. They're great eating. Have some in the crock pot as I type this.

I feel that it's just a matter of time before they find the oasis and destroy it. No way would all the buried lines and pipes etc. survive them. Not to mention my house and guesthouse that are earth-sheltered. Hopefully, before that happens the powers-that-be will find a way to eradicate them.

Spent yesterday at CMO. Didn't get a lot done. I did pot the rest of the Tree Tobacco though. Should end up with at least 24 to space around the new tank in a couple of months. Here are the newly potted ones.


And those previously potted. 


I found two that I had potted that aren't Tree Tobacco. I started to throw them out but decided to keep them to see what weed or wildflower they turn out to be.

Two unknown weeds/wildflowers

I took out some of the plumbing at the lower dirt tank. Going to do what I should have done decades ago, put in valves so I don't have to wade out and undo and hook up the 3" pipes to put the water where I want it. Sometimes I want the upper dirt tank water to go to the stucco tank, but when the stucco tank is full, I want it to go to the lower dirt tank. The rubber fittings were constantly blowing out from the water pressure and having to be screwed on tighter, then unscrewed to move them. It was a nightmare. Getting too old to do that anymore. Here's how it was. I'll post photos of how it's going to be when I get it done. This photo is old from when I first put in these rubber fittings. Have had lots of problems with them since, which caused this area to be seriously eroded.


Back in Alpine the violets are blooming.




No comments:

Post a Comment