Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, February 18, 2019

Another and more to come

I found and identified a new plant species for the oasis. Texas Toad-flax (Nuttallanthus texanus). It's also exciting to me that I identified it myself. Wasn't easy, but the word "beardtongue" came to my mind. So I googled that and although I quickly discovered it wasn't that species, I figured it was from the same family. So I saw that beardtongue was in the Plantain family. Then I went to the digital Brewster Co. guide that I made this winter and found it in the Plantain family. When I get to town I'll look it up in Powell's book and see what common name he has for it. I use his nomenclature. So I may end up adjusting the name from what I found online. It's not rare or anything, but I love it. And more is coming up near it. I think it's a host plant for the Common Buckeye butterfly.


Couldn't find any hummers to photograph today. It's quite chilly outside and my vertigo resurfaced this morning, so I'm wimpy today.

The wilted Tree Tobacco isn't getting better or worse, so I think it'll survive. Gonna plant a healthy one near it as soon as I get more wind protectors.


Here's how the healthy ones all look.



No comments:

Post a Comment