Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Oasis goings-on

There's another hummingbird hanging around that I think is a juvenile male Allen's or Rufous. Its gorget feathers aren't as far along as the other one, but in a few weeks it should have a full adult gorget.


Just think, in a week or two the Lucifers will start arriving. Elf Owls have started showing up along the river, which is way early for them, so I'm thinking Lucifers might arrive early too.

While I was in town for a few days one of the wind shields blew off one of the newly planted Tree Tobaccos. It looks really wilted, but I'm hopeful that it can revive. Otherwise, I have spares that I can replant it with. I would plant some of the spares now but I ran out of wind shields.

Lots of weeds are blooming. Things are getting dry. A rain would be awesome, but unlikely. A few of the verbena (Glandularia wrightii) that I've been mothering are starting to bloom. Also found a different verbena species that should bloom very soon, maybe tomorrow.

Hillside Vervain (Verbena hirtella)
Another curious occurrence today was a big jet that, to my eyes looked like a commercial one, flew over the oasis headed south. In a minute it would have been in Mexico, but it did an abrupt turn and headed back north. Is this a commercial jet with perhaps a problem with a passenger? I don't recall a commercial jet ever heading south over the oasis unless the weather is bad. It seemed really big to be a military jet.

Zooming southward

Headed north


No comments:

Post a Comment