Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, October 12, 2019

CMO is winning against the bear

The oasis is about as bear-proof as it's going to get. No bear can reach the feeder, or bend the pole. So unless a very smart, strong, and determined bear messes up the pulley system, we're good to go.

That top section is at least a foot taller than it needs to be, but I have a plan to fix it. Next project.


Still a few Lucifer Hummingbirds around. A male Rufous is trying to dominate the feeders. To prevent that, I hung one feeder on one of the feeder poles that I didn't want to use anymore during bear season (Oct & Nov). So the pole that feeder is on might get flattened.



Today I had some help doing a small project that I should have done years ago. In 2013, I created a shaded area to grow citrus trees in. I wasn't sure how it would work out. On my blog post of October 17, 2013, I said. "The shade that the sotol is creating is a great place to view the feeders from in the afternoon. Will hate to lose that when I fence it in for the citrus. May have to rethink some things. The place is always a work in progress."

Well, today I decided that the citrus are growing so slowly and taking up valuable viewing shade, so I compromised and took the gate down but fenced in the citrus trees (Trifoliate Orange). You can't see the chicken wire around the trees on this photo. Now two people can enjoy the shade on hot afternoons.


Rabbits and deer don't eat the citrus, so it would just be the javelina that might dig them up. They don't dig up my other small trees and bushes, so it should be OK. That's not to say they never dig them up, but it seems they do it only after they've been newly planted. If they do demolish the trees, I'll just give up on growing the citrus, take down the fence, and use it for a viewing area. The citrus have been there over five years, are only about two feet tall, and given me no benefit. I've watered them regularly. Gotta consider cost versus benefit.


No comments:

Post a Comment