Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, December 10, 2020

Third's a charm

Three times I went to the Davis Mountain State Park trying to photograph a Ruddy Ground Dove being seen there. Yesterday it had been seen at 8:30 AM, so I arrived today at 8:20, and there it was feeding beneath a feeder. But as soon as I raised my camera it disappeared. I waited and froze for three hours when another birder spotted it back in the brush a ways uphill from the viewing area. Finally got a photo. I would have preferred one of it feeding, but just thrilled at this point to have anything.



Actually, I sort of went for it four times. The first time I was right outside the park on my way home from getting the Tundra Swans at Balmorhea, but lost cell service and was on an important phone call, so turned around. The second time it was too cold for me (24°) so I only waited 45 minutes for it, but it didn't show. Then the third time I was on the way back from Balmorhea with Dale so she could see the swans, but she had to get home, so we only were there 30 minutes. So today, I was determined. Likely I would have failed if it hadn't been for that young ace birder there.

Yesterday I watered trees at the oasis. The most bird-less it's ever been I think. Did have 5 Anna's Hummingbirds though. Dry and little greenery, with few birds, is kind of a downer. Having more fun chasing good birds here. About ran out of good birds to chase though. Maybe something good will show up.


No comments:

Post a Comment