Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Cold but birdy

Yesterday was really brisk. I got quite chilled. No great birds, but lots of sparrows and other birds, including an American Robin.



I guess the cold wore me out because by the time I got to town I was too exhausted to catch up on my work there. Just made a list to do it all today. 


Today I got an early start and got caught up. Made my fake rock cover. I'm afraid to even breathe on it. The cement kept sloughing off, but I think it's done. Maybe in a couple of days or more, I'll dare to put it on the outlet. Hoping it doesn't crack too bad. I can easily repair it, of course, but rather not. I made a huge mess on the patio.


(Birdbath in background)

Meanwhile, the bird bath is very popular with Yellow-rumped Warblers. At one point I counted five on it at the same time. Only managed a photo with four on it. My rubber gloves are hard to get on and off, so I couldn't always take pictures as fast as I wanted while immersed in rock-making.



Obviously, I haven't tired yet of taking their photos through the window. The next two photos were taken after I removed that annoying background rock. Since it was propping up the big basin rock I had to get my son to hold the latter in place while I replaced it with one that didn't show in the background. Bokeh and all! When I originally set the rocks in place I didn't have help and was unable to hold the big megaton rock in place while arranging the prop below it.




5 comments:

  1. Love the blog! Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm really glad to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have followed you for years. Wish I were closer to help with some of the work at the Oasis. Hope to visit there some day. I've loved the Big Bend since I was a young boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A year ago when a friend and I were planning our 1st trip to Big Bend, I came across your oasis on the internet. We couldn't come visit then, but I sure enjoy your blog and hope to meet you and see your oasis someday! We are in Wisconsin. My name is Carolyn, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do make it here. One day I had 3 Carolyns present so we took a photo to commemorate the event! I'll be happy to take one with you too!

      Delete