Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Nothing is forever!

Disappointingly, I've come to the conclusion that my days of serious birding have to be over. Not only because of the energy it requires, nor because of my lack of expertise, but due mainly to my physical limitations. I'm hoping the vertigo I've had for three weeks will eventually go away, but pretty sure my eye issues won't.


This morning I was excited to go to Gage Gardens in Marathon, hoping to photograph two species that were reported there yesterday that I don't have photos of (Ovenbird & Red-eyed Vireo). When I got there shortly after 7:30 AM the place was plenty birdy. But I couldn't pick out the more furtive species quickly enough to ID them. Finally, I figured out it's because my eyes focus so slowly anymore, especially when flashing from dark to light, and vice versa. I've been aware that gradually through recent years when I go indoors I can't see anything for a while, but hadn't made the connection to birding difficulties until today. Suddenly, I'm confronted with bright sun, dark shadows, all milliseconds apart as I'm trying to track a bird darting around. All I see are tiny shadows, with no clue as to what it is, other than vague jizz. Adding to my frustration is my difficulty in IDing birds, even after I'm successful at getting photos.


Today I saw what I thought was a White-tailed Kite. Then I decided it was a Mississippi Kite. After studying my photos, I redecided it was a White-tailed Kite. I posted it as such. Then actually changed it twice more before settling on White-tailed. 


Before long, I was contacted by the reviewer that it was a Mississippi Kite. I've never been a skilled identifier, but adding that to my other handicaps is discouraging.



I'm sure I'll always bird to some degree, like looking out the window at my water feature, etc. And it might not even be possible to quit such an addiction. But realistically, I'm not going to chase rarities unless I'm with an expert to help me locate them. At least that's the way I feel today. It's more important that I focus my waning energy on maintaining the oasis. That's challenge and reward enough!


And while I'm disappointed, I'm not complaining. I feel extremely lucky to be as healthy as I am. For that and many other things I'm grateful every day!


On a brighter note, I was thrilled to see that about 40 new fruit trees have been planted in the orchard part of Gage Gardens (west side). Included were fig trees, apricot trees, peach trees, etc. That should make for some spectacular birding in a few years. Who knows, maybe you'll see me there. LOL




3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Clint. At the oasis with regular birds that I see all the time I'm good at, but at strange places with unfamiliar birds, not so much and getting worse. Thanks for your wonderful words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sending my support, this journey we are all taking has many turns and surprises. I am so glad that I can "travel" with you through your wonderful blog! deep appreciation for all you do and will share with us in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was discouraged yesterday but today I'm ready to go birding again. LOL I've started taking AREDS2 vitamins that are supposed to help with macular dengeneration.

      Delete