Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, September 5, 2011

New yard bird

Kelly and Donna Bryan arrived early along with their friends, Charles and Nancy Floyd. We saw 6 hummingbird species in spite of brisk winds all day. Kelly spotted an Eastern Kingbird, which is a species I'd never seen here before. We both ran for our cameras but he was faster, and managed to get a couple of shots, one as it was taking off, and the other in flight. I was just a few seconds too late. When I get copies of Kelly's shots, I'll post them here. Meanwhile, it is a documented new yard bird, considered rare in this area.

I was amazed that we captured and banded 5 Calliope Hummingbirds today. Surely a record number for here.

Calliope Hummingbird
My guests are spending the night in the guesthouse, then heading towards Study Butte / Terlingua to band at a couple of sites there. I'm staying behind to haul water to my trees. Bummer, but gotta do what I gotta do to keep my oasis as healthy as possible during this NON-ENDING drought.

Besides the kingbird, Kelly counted at least 6 empidinax flycatchers; 3 Dusky, 2 Least, and 1 Hammond's.


1 comment:

  1. I have hiked into springs in Big Bend NP and the State park and all the humming birds there are such a treat.

    ReplyDelete