Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Baltimore Oriole

I was enjoying a brief respite from slavery, photographing orioles eating those nasty black flies off hummingbird feeders. One I thought was more colorful and probably a young male Bullock's. I took lots of photos. When I downloaded them a while ago, it struck me that it looks more like a young Baltimore Oriole.



Those insects must be yummy. Just goes to show I need to pay closer attention. All input appreciated.

I'm really bummed out. I think the transmission is out on my water hauling truck and that may prove to be the last straw in my attempts to save my oasis.

Here's a Black-throated Sparrow demolishing a moth, or some other kind of insect.




2 comments:

  1. Great pictures, the only birds I get behind Ghost Town are Ravens and Buzzards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. frann, there are no buzzards in our country. What you're seeing are vultures. I'll bet you have a lot more species of birds than you're aware of. If you put out a hummingbird feeder, you'll have them too. Otherwise, you should still get mockingbirds, thrashers, roadrunners, and many other species. Try identifying them and keeping a list (called a "yard list" by birders). You'll be surprised.

    ReplyDelete