Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, June 15, 2012

RAIN!

My sister called me in Alpine and said we're getting a huge deluge in the Christmas Mountains so I'm heading down there in a little bit. From what I can ascertain, all my tanks will be full. I'm so excited. Photos to follow when I get there.

Later: The road was nearly washed out and the arroyo was still running a foot deep by the time I got to the oasis around 7:30 PM, nearly 2 hours after the deluge. I had 1½" in the rain gauge.


Devastating hail accompanied the rain and when I saw all the leaves on the ground I couldn't believe there could possibly be a leaf left on any tree. They were sparsely leafed to begin with after one year and ten months with no rain.


But surely they'll recover quickly now.


Bottom line: Tanks all overflowing; water everywhere!


8 comments:

  1. Awesome! Hope you have a rain gauge. Heavy clouds to the west, but the ones that have crossed into the Rio Grande valley are completely dried out and just high bases...hard to get rain in here until July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup sure enough, I'm looking at the radar images right now and Marfa, Alpine and surroundings are getting numerous Thunderbumpers all around the regions and looks to be more behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you got the rain today!! We've been following along and you deserve it more than anyone. We'll be there soon... can't wait to meet you.

    Chris Miller
    Our180.com - One Family's Journey To Finding True Happiness

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are soooo happy for you and all the plants and critters!
    Jane and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah!!!! I am so very happy for your oasis and for all the critters in your area. Enjoy!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carolyn, I couldn't be happier to hear the news that you got rained on! Seems like a funny thing to wish on somebody, but in your case, probably the best thing you could get. Thanks for all your hard work building the oasis, keeping it alive through the droughts, and opening it up for all of us birders to enjoy. May there be more rain in the future for you.

    ReplyDelete