Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Alpine duckling

OMG! Every year the female domestic duck lays lots of eggs, sits on them and nothing ever hatches. (Nest photos on post of Mar 28, 2011) This morning my husband discovered a duckling sticking to the female duck like glue. I'm terrified it won't survive. We'll just have to wait and see.

























Meanwhile, the female hasn't given up on the remaining eggs in her nest.



The other two ducks are keeping their distance. Wise of them, I'd say.


I believe the duck on the left is the adult male domestic duck, and the other one is a Mexican Duck that took up residence with them. I'm not positive of the sex of either of these ducks. I suppose it's possible both domestic ducks are females and the Mexican Duck is a male. One of them is a male or the eggs wouldn't be fertile.

No comments:

Post a Comment