Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Lesson relearned

For some obscure reason a week or two ago I washed the top half of the storm door window to the kitchen. I think I  may have done it in case I wanted to photograph an interesting migrant through it. Then, a while ago I was sitting at the computer and heard a bird thwack the window. Yikes! I dreaded going to look. A stunned female Blue Grosbeak was sitting below the window. In about 5 minutes she seemed to be recovered and flew away. Close call. I will not do that again. Dirty windows are preferable to bird kills. In over 30 years I've had, at most, to the best of my recollection, 2 window kills. I do not want to expand that number further.


No migrants and no birders here. Just getting really hot (94° today). Waiting for rainy season to commence. The only hummingbirds here are the Black-chinned Hummingbirds (banded female pictured below) and Lucifers. I seldom get other species during spring migration, but more than make up for it in fall migration, which starts late July.


No comments:

Post a Comment