Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Out and about

I figure tomorrow will be my last chance to try for a suitable photo of the Lucifer Hummingbird feeding nestlings. They look close to fledging.


I tried to get a bit closer to the nest, but the mother wouldn't come in to feed them with me that close, so I backed way off. I was about 40' away, so they're zoomed to the max, and cropped.

Here's mama Lucifer waiting patiently, or impatiently, for me to back away so she could come in, which I promptly did. She sat there closer to me than I was to the nest, so obviously she wasn't afraid of me, she just didn't want me to know where her babies were.


I'm thinking maybe tomorrow late afternoon the sun will be better on them. However, I doubt if any light will make them look more colorful than dead cholla.

Coming home I saw a herd of Aoudad crossing the road above the oasis.


No comments:

Post a Comment