Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, March 1, 2015

All is well in my world

Got to see the Lucifer Hummingbirds return (right on schedule) before having to come to Alpine today. Got this shot of a very skittish male. He's most likely already banded. It was 32° when I took this photo. You can see that the ice hasn't all melted off the trees yet (see previous posts).


I had thought I heard a hummer yesterday (Feb 28) but it was so cold and windy I didn't hang out long enough to confirm it. Wish I had now.

Bonnie Wunderlich from one of our banding sites near Terlingua  heard one yesterday too. Today, she also got photos, plus she also had a female. I find that very interesting. Here are Bonnie's captures. She did great! The more observers, the more is learned.



I'm thinking that with the winds coming from the south yesterday the Lucifers arrived with it. The wind north of CMO was from the north, but south into Mexico it was from the south for the last couple of days. Serendipity for the early arriving Lucifers.

1 comment:

  1. the great and unique Emily Dickinson's famous poem on watching a hummingbird (written sometime around 1879):

    A Route of Evanescence,
    With a revolving Wheel –
    A Resonance of Emerald
    A Rush of Cochineal –
    And every Blossom on the Bush
    Adjusts it’s tumbled Head –
    The Mail from Tunis – probably,
    An easy Morning’s Ride –

    regards,
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete