Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, March 23, 2017

All systems go!

Background: My husband worried that such a prolonged sinus infection might cause other problems (like in the eyes, dental implants, or even brain), so I agreed to take antibiotics. When I went to the doctor Monday I asked for blood work, explaining that since I'd last had it done I had gone on a high protein/high fat diet and wanted to see how it was working. Of course the doctor was horrified and said that fat had to go somewhere and I'd get gallstones. Feeling new concern after hearing that, I asked if we should test for gallstones. She said let's wait and see what my cholesterol level is now.

Today: When I called this morning to find out, the first words out of her mouth were, "OK Smarty Pants." Seriously. All my levels that I've struggled with for years were now normal. No more borderline high cholesterol, or borderline high blood pressure, or borderline high blood sugar. All were perfect. Naturally she said I must be one of the rare people who genetically can handle that diet. Well, I didn't tell her that the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the high protein, high fat, low carb diet was good for everyone. I let her save face by telling her everyone is a unique genetic experiment.😏

But, as you may recall, I was really sick yesterday. Figured that one out too. When I got the antibiotic prescription she insisted I also take Musinex "to help my sinus infection." I told her I wasn't congested at all, so wasn't sure what help it would be, but I acquiesced (I had just refused a steroid shot) and took it so I wouldn't come across as totally dismissive of everything she recommended. Over-the-counter so how much damage could it do? Well, yesterday I was feeling terrible and knowing it couldn't be the antibiotics since I took the same kind last year for my bronchitis, I suspected the Musinex. Googled it online and couldn't believe I'd been stupid enough to actually take the stuff. And it's expensive. Over a dollar per pill. I had all the "common side effects," except hadn't started vomiting yet. I say yet because I had only taken half the daily dose every day (for the past 3 days). Headache getting worse, starting to get nauseous, breaking out in a rash, drowsy to the point of just dragging around on sheer willpower. Ugh! Today I got all my work done and energy left over!

Here's the finished hummingbird stands.


Mac finally got time to set up his camera at the sprinkler. 


He got a good shot of a Varied Bunting that came in to bathe. That's an early record for the oasis. My previous early record was April 11, 2012. And that was after the horrible drought of 2011 where we didn't get rain until June 2012. So my oasis was the only wet spot in the area that April due to my buying and hauling water.

Photo courtesy Mac Womack

Also today I saw my first Giant Swallowtail for the year. Here it is being photobombed by a Black Swallowtail. Per Brian they're both males. Really getting a lot of mileage out of that verbena patch.

My sister and I even got two new flower species for our properties. Here's one of them, a Bushy Wild-Buckwheat (Eriogonum suffruticosum). This species is locally common, mostly in South Brewster County, but otherwise somewhat rare.


Ann identified it. She's so much better at that than I am. But, between us, I hold the title on bird, butterfly, and odonate IDs. If she can ID a new flower 50% of the time, I'd be lucky to do it 1% of the time. I have done it though. When Michael Powell's new flower book comes out both our skills will improve drastically. Like I didn't get a good handle on birds until Sibley came out with his bird guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment