Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, November 7, 2019

A cool Lajitas afternoon

Today a birding friend and I went to the oasis. Pretty cool weather and nothing much going on there. Thinking Lajitas would be better, we went there.

It was every bit as cool there too. I hadn't been there for ages so was surprised at some of the changes. For starters, we immediately saw the addition of the Robert E Lee statue that had recently been relocated from Dallas. Looks really awesome at Lajitas. It's great art, and now we have it in our corner of the world to enjoy. To me, the statue represents the frontier days when the cavalry rode on horseback. General Pershing and his troops once established a post at Lajitas. If I was told the statue was of Pershing, I wouldn't know any better.




The next surprise was all the vegetation around a little stream and pool, that I loved to look for odes in, was removed and covered with rocks.

Similar area five years ago this week



Another change, which I forgot to photograph, was the construction of about six, or more, cottages on the north side of the "lake" by the golf shop. I actually think that's a good thing. There was nothing there before but bare ground and I assume the cottages will be lovely.

I had never seen the golf course so covered in fire ant hills before. Really had to watch our step.

Glasses for size perspective

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know fire ants could get along that well in a dry climate. But then, I guess a golf course gets some water. Anyway, I"m kind of horrified they're surviving out there.
    Here's a bit on your statue: https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/controversial-robert-e-lee-statue-removed-from-dallas-has-new-home-in-lajitas-tx/287-a857b24c-937f-4a42-84b6-7fc34e0917d6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen that. Thanks for sharing. There's nowhere on the statue base that says it's Robert E Lee. It's art and Pershing to me.

      Delete
  2. BTW, we have a terrible fire ant problem in Alpine too.

    ReplyDelete