Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, November 4, 2019

More winning!

Yesterday my camera was behaving so badly that I got desperate and did a factory reset on it. Solved the problems. I knew the zoom wouldn't work in Shutter-priority mode if the macro mode was on, but even after reading the advanced manual, it wouldn't let me turn macro off. The option wasn't there. Now it lets me turn it on and off. This Allen's Hummingbird exercise is more about mastering my camera than it is about the bird. You can see on today's photos, and yesterday's, that the R2 lacks the diagnostic notches of a Rufous, and has the real narrow R5, confirming it as an Allen's.



I also discovered I do better in auto-focus in this situation. Normally, that's not the case. While I was working/playing on this project today, a male Anna's Hummingbird visited the courtyard. There was some conflict and vocalization going on as the Allen's defended "his" territory. When it was over and one bird left, I was relieved the Allen's was the winner. I think this Anna's is molting, but it may be a juvenile.


There's also a selasphorus at  the oasis. I think it's a Rufous juvenile or female.




No comments:

Post a Comment