Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

What a difference an hour makes

Up in the Chisos this morning by Bob Wardlow
Yesterday I was at the oasis basking in perfect weather, happily taking photos. Feeling really reluctant to head back to Alpine. In procrastination, I decided to download and process my photos. Then I blogged. Excited to learn what I thought was a Rufous Hummignbird was actually my second Allen's Hummingbird, I posted about that and did an ebird report. Time got away.

Juvenile male Allen's
By about 3 PM, I regrettingly decided I had better start packing up and get going so I'd get to town before dark and possible icy roads. I knew a cold front was forecast.

My house is earth-sheltered, like a cave. Inside I have no idea what it's like outside. What a shock I received when I opened the door! A winter storm had arrived, seemingly in the blink of an eye! Instantly I went from not wanting to leave, to wishing I had headed back to town sooner. Hurriedly packed up my ice chest, and all the stuff I haul with me, in bitter cold wind and rain, did a few last minute tasks, and off I headed.

By the time I got to the big hill south of Alpine freezing rain was accumulating on my windshield. Vegetation was covered in frost.


It was impossible to wrap my mind around that just a couple of hours earlier I had been taking photos in calm 70° weather. Seemed a world away.

Here's a shot I had taken of one of my mulberry trees. Worms had denuded it totally. Oh well, worms, frost, all the same to the tree I guess. The leaves would be gone either way.



No comments:

Post a Comment