Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, February 10, 2020

From despair to exhilaration

This is a long story, so feel free to skip over it. I'll try to be brief.

For several years now my watering system at the oasis hasn't been working right, even after we replaced everything except the underground wiring and the pressure tank. New pump, control box, pump wiring, breaker boxes, pressure switch, etc. I finally decided it must be the bladder inside the pressure tank and I can live with it as it is. It eventually comes on and stays on until pressure builds up. Then it cuts off and won't come on again for 5-15 minutes. However, if I run two hoses at full force, pressure doesn't build up enough to cut off. Therefore, by rushing between moving hoses I can water everything at one time, which takes about 4 hours. I can live with that.

In my senility, I decided to leave a drip on the water feature over night, so turned off the two hoses, but left the breaker on (for the drip). This morning I went to water the trees forgetting I had left the breaker on, and thinking I was turning it on, I was actually turning it off. Duh! So I waited 15 minutes, no water, 30 minutes, no water, 1 hour, no water, etc. Finally, in desperation, I took a little pump and put it in the big tank, dragged long hoses around and watered. I thought the whole time the breaker was on to the water system. When I eventually finished watering the hard way, I decided to turn off the breaker before heading to town. Can't leave it on just in case it actually comes on at some esoteric point, then we get a hard freeze, breaking the faucet to the drip. I've learned the hard way not to take any chances. Turn off breaker before leaving. When I went to turn off the breaker, for some unknown reason, I noticed that it was already off. I then realized it had been off all day, thus the reason for no water. So after being devastated and desperate feeling all day, trying to figure out what on earth I could do to get the system fixed, I was ecstatic to discover it was still working as before. I could live without it, except that would mean I couldn't leave a drip on my water feature. The extra work of doing the pump and hoses and taking eight hours to water would be torture, but doable. But living without my drip, not. Whew!

While watering (slow with the one hose) I managed to snap a few photos. Mostly was glad to get a decent shot of the Cardinal. I switched between my Sony and Lumix. The cardinal is with the Lumix. The Green-tailed Towhee and Curve-billed Thrasher are with the Sony.




I'm slowly learning the Sony. I'm not only happy with it, but relieved to have a second camera in case my Lumix breaks. Can't be without a camera.... or a drip. LOL

While SLOWLY watering today, I noticed how bleak the deciduous part of the oasis is, and how pleasant the evergreen part is. Unfortunately, the "pinery" has no nearby water and no feeder, so no birds. But without a viewing area there, and with the difficulty of making a bear-proof feeder, it's not worth doing it just for a couple of winter months. 




No comments:

Post a Comment