Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Alpine Costa's Hummingbird

 Got up this morning early and headed to my son's to look for the Costa's. It was there already foraging right after daylight so I got word out to people wanting to travel a long ways to see it that it was a good risk to come. Meanwhile, a local birder rushed over and got to see it. At least I was no longer the only one. I would probably have located it yesterday morning had I not been at the oasis watering. Since I photographed it two days ago it molted its gorget "wings." Looks pretty funky.



This bird has only been seen early mornings (2) so it's not a sure thing to see it at all. I'm hoping that it's the one photographed at my place in Alpine on Sep 5 and is settled in at my son's house, but too soon to tell. If it's seen again tomorrow morning, I'll feel more confident in people traveling to see it. Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment