Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Only brief Costa's visit today

 One person arrived at 9 AM to see the Costa's Hummingbird today, but, alas, it had already departed. I didn't see it after 8:05 AM. It'll be interesting to see if it even shows up tomorrow. Lucky for me I took photos before the light got good, or I wouldn't have gotten any today.






In trying to figure out why it likes the spot it likes, all I could come up with was the pomegranate bush there that maybe felt like California to it. Although pomegranates aren't native to our country, they're grown in the semi-arid regions of California and Arizona. They like cool winters and hot summers with low humidity. (This photo taken at my son's house this morning.)


The only other place in the Big Bend that I recall seeing healthy pomegranate bushes is Lajitas. Those I planted at the oasis some years ago are alive, but not thriving. 


Here's an update on our drought. Even though we don't need science to tell us what we've been dealing with, it's nice to have the affirmation.



Tomorrow I'm going to the oasis. I expect to see good birds there. We'll see...


No comments:

Post a Comment