Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, October 23, 2020

A long Texas Birding Classic big day

 My husband called me at 5 AM so I got two hours less sleep than I needed, therefore it made the day even longer and harder. I started my big day at CMO at daylight. Highlight there was a Williamson's Sapsucker, but I didn't get good photos of it. I had a lot of places to bird, so didn't dawdle. Remember, only countable birds are those I see within a 50 mile radius of the oasis. Very disappointing that the Cassin's Finches and some other good species were gone.



Next I went to Rio Grande Village in the park. It was like something out of the Twilight Zone. Closed, so had to park a ways outside and walk in. I didn't arrive there until afternoon so it was blazing hot.


The campground was deserted. The trees there looked half dead, and no birds to speak of. 



I stayed less than an hour before heading to Lajitas. Lajitas was much birdier and greener. But by the time I got there I was worn out. Wish I had gone there instead of Rio Grande Village, but one never knows. Previously it had always been good birding.

The highlight for me at Lajitas was a Common Loon. I didn't have photos of one, and had never seen one in Brewster County before.




No comments:

Post a Comment