Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Wondering

 I wonder why my Faxon Yucca is blooming this late in the year in the middle of record heat and drought.



And I wonder what species this pile of feathers represents. I suspect it's a Gray Catbird. Color and feather size looks like the best fit for that species. Hadn't seen or heard one at the oasis this year, but who knows? There's one in town and quite probably one stopped in at the oasis. Can't hear a dead bird. I know accipiters are hanging around, and who knows what other predators.


I wonder when and how this pandemic is going to end. I just learned a very dear friend barely survived covid after three weeks in the hospital, and is still sick. Is it going to pick us off one by one, I wonder, until we've all had it? Or died of it?

Kind of down in the dumps tonight anyway. Seems it's always something. Got to the oasis at daybreak, prepared to water and other work, even though I really would have preferred to photograph birds. But it went ok until I learned that yesterday a trespasser had gotten his vehicle stuck when he came upon my locked back gate and tried to turn around. He called me today wanting the gate combination so he could get it towed out. Caused me lots of stress and inconvenience. I said "no." 

I'm tired of just endlessly giving whatever they ask for, turning the other cheek. I've fought poachers, hunters, trespassers, you name it for over 40 years.  He drove through my open gate on the north, that was plainly posted private property, no trespassing. 

Gate was open but posted on both sides

Wanting to take a shortcut across my property. It costs a lot to maintain my road. My sister said he was speeding when he came up the big hill, tearing it up along the way.  Anyway, the van is still sitting inside my back gate, blocking the road, waiting for the next step. I'm wondering what that will be.


It was a young guy working for a Fedex delivery contractor. When I finally talked to the contractor, I asked for damages. He gave me a sob story, of course. Just an accident, innocent mistake, etc. He can't afford to pay me any money, etc. I did tell them they could get the packages out of the van. People who paid the delivery charges deserve to get their packages.

I shouldn't have to keep my gate locked and endure the inconvenience of always having to lock and unlock the gate and make all visiting birders do the same just in order to keep people from using and abusing my road. A "keep out" sign should suffice. 

It doesn't take a genius to know that GPS may show roads, but doesn't show locked gates and other obstacles. A delivery driver should have a paper map furnished by his company and follow their approved route.

Anyway, what bird watching I could fit in this morning was good. I enjoyed seeing this Rose-breasted Grosbeak. My favorite bird of the day. Looks like he's wondering too!




No comments:

Post a Comment