Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, February 22, 2021

Robins headed north

The first thing I notice when I drive up to the oasis from Alpine is the profound quiet. You'd think by now I'd be so used to it, but it never fails to move me.


The weather got up to 70° today so I really wore myself out. My project was to prune an Evergreen Sumac that collapsed in that New Year's big snow event (not to be confused with our recent big freeze event).




It was a volunteer in the courtyard and had three trunks. Two trunks were dying and unsalvageable, but I tried to save the third one. It was a killer job for me. So heavy I couldn't budge them and had to cut them up in pieces to remove them. They were laying blocking the walkway into the house, so had to be dealt with. Here's how it looked when I finished. 


I've been seeing robins wherever I bird lately, while my aunt in Iowa is watching for their return. They're on their way! Had four at the oasis today being harassed by mockingbirds.




4 comments:

  1. Lots of robins around here a couple of days ago as the snow was melting. Now that it has been 72 today, nary a sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go figure! Doesn't make sense. Maybe just a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Rockport a couple days ago and noticed a strange looking bird on a fence. Upon closer inspection I noticed the prominent red breast and immediately recognized it as a Robin. I had not seen one this far south for a while.
    It reminded me of my first encounter with Robins while living in Laredo back in the 1960s, in my more youthful days when during a cold winter I saw about 20 Robins feeding in my backyard. Never seeing one before, I ran for my bird book and was able to identify it as a Robin. The same bird I had become familiar with from children's story books. Since then I've had a special admiration for them and have seen them in my travels all over the country, each time remembering my first encounter with them. Keeping my memories fresh.

    ReplyDelete