Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, August 20, 2021

Banded Lucifers

 I've been encouraging visiting photographers to try for shots of the band numbers on banded Lucifers. Several have been successful. It has been determined that this female is at least eight years old. That's a record. Still working on a couple others. This photo by Gary Byerly.



Here's a shot of a banded male taken by Michele Champlin. Haven't found out any info on it yet. It may not be legible enough for Kelly to determine which individual it is.


Since I couldn't get an accurate measurement on the stucco tank before I left the oasis after dark the other evening, I don't have an accurate assessment of how much it's leaking, plus we had a little rain in the interim. I'm sure it's not leaking as bad as it had been though. What loss I observed in both tanks could be attributed to evaporation. (Cautiously optimistic here.)

When I arrived at the oasis yesterday afternoon, I stopped to clean up where the recent rain had caused a rockslide at the top of the big hill. 




I think it's safe. I could only remove the smaller stuff that was partially blocking the road.



The hummingbird festival is in progress, and birders will be visiting today, so I may post again later this evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment