Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Feeling of decline



Recently, I killed myself pumping water all night, then killed myself removing the same water from the stucco tank due to it leaking 5" per day. Then I killed myself patching the tank. And then killed myself pumping the water back into the tank. Then again pumping all night after the most recent rain. Well, the tank is still leaking 2" per day. At some point I have to stop "tilting windmills." Even a cat only has 9 lives. I'm spent!

I didn't even bother to pump that last bit of runoff into the stucco tank. I figure that'll just increase the water pressure in the tank and cause it to leak faster. My vertigo never seems to get better and I have other minor health issues. Gotta slow down. So my plan is to maybe let the cottonwood tree die. 

Today was the last festival group. Again very few birds. But, I did find a nice butterfly, a rare Ornythion Swallowtail. Not new to the oasis, but I always love getting them. Unfortunately, I only saw it for a minute and did not get a good photo of it. I'm lucky, though, to get any photos. I had climbed a ladder to adjust the bird drip. Normally, when I do that I remove my camera from around my neck lest I fall and damage it. But this time I had absently left it there. From the ladder I saw and photographed the prize.




Thereafter, I spent several hours trying to relocate it with no luck. I even ventured down the arroyo into a patch of Cowpen Daisies, which I'm very allergic to. Lots of butterflies there, but no Orny.



Painted Lady

Red Admiral

Black Swallowtail


2 comments:

  1. Oh! I haven't seen an Ornythion since I was a kid. Of course I didn't know what it was called, but recognized it immediately from your first photo.
    Very glad you are still alive, and haven't killed yourself entirely yet.
    Thanks for the photo....sounds like you've actually had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I'm always a happy person and always enjoy life. I know nothing is forever, and that includes the oasis, so I try not to take things too seriously. Always so much fun to be had in life!

    ReplyDelete