Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Exhausting, but good day

I watered from 8 AM until 2 PM. Totally exhausting. The 100° temperature by then sure made me glad I was finished before I totally collapsed. While watering I saw a White-patched Skipper butterfly. It's a Mexican species that usually only occurs in the Rio Grande Valley and SE Arizona in the US. I had several in 2013, but at that time I didn't know that was unusual, so didn't fully appreciate them.



Also I was surprised at how heavily streaked this juvenile Black-throated Sparrow is. The juveniles are so cute. For days after fledging they stand right beside the adults as the adults pick up seeds and poke them into the fledgling's beak. Finally, the fledglings figure it out and feed themselves. 



And this Varied Bunting was entertaining as it took repeated baths in the new water feature. I hope it's still doing that in two weeks during the hummingbird festival tours.



I think this is the best this Senna (S. wizlizeni) has ever looked.


Just so glad I don't have to water again for 4 or 5 days, and even longer if it rains. We are in the middle of monsoon season, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment