Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, September 27, 2021

Promise of rain

 My sister said she got a little rain in the night and more is forecast. It'll be great for the vegetation even if my tanks don't fill. My sisters and I are into flowers on our lands. Since it's really difficult for Ann and me to scour the mountain for species, our other sister, Julia, and her daughter are filling in for us. My niece takes awesome photos of the flowers with her cellphone. Here they were yesterday doing their thing, as I photographed them high above from the comfort of the oasis.



It's always a thrill for us to discover a new species, or just to enjoy the endless beauty surrounding us. Ann consults with expert Dr. Michael Powell, whose book on the area flowers is invaluable to us. Using his book as my reference, I made a digital file of 2,000 photos of all the flowers that could occur on our land as our guide. We're a team, it's fun, and it's contributing to the knowledge of the area's flora. If you want to see our progress so far, you can check out my Christmas Mountains Flora blog. 

https://christmasmountainsplants.blogspot.com/


Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Alpine watching spiders prey upon butterflies. The  butterfly is a Hackberry Emperor. Don't know the spider.



________________


UPDATE: Brian says the spider is some kind of Jumping Spider of the Salticidae family.


No comments:

Post a Comment