Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, December 9, 2021

Reading the landscape

So lovely to open my eyes at CMO this morning to the first rays of sunrise outside my window!



My sister found a Thompson's Yucca up the mountain that had a woodpecker hole in it. She brought it to me, thinking I might be able to use it as a nesting box. The hole in it is too shallow for hole nesters, but I mounted it anyway, for decoration or whatever.



The top came off as she was transporting it, which I wired on as good as I was able while standing precariously atop an eight foot ladder. We'll see how long it holds up and if anything uses it.



So, I can pretty well discern how the hole got into the stalk. An infestation of some kind of larvae, like June bugs, ate the pith out of the stalk. A Ladder-backed Woodpecker heard them inside and probably drilled a hole near the base where the larvae had accumulated. And probably made the hole in a matter of minutes.

I worked on the tank awhile yesterday and again today. As much as my body could tolerate. Not doing any more until I get all the water and mud out of it. I worked in the far end cleaning and coating cracks. I don't think that end leaks but I want to be sure it doesn't start to. I coated the whole thing eight years ago. Two coats are supposed to last 10 years, but I did just one coat, a thinned down one at that. I'm just going to keep patching holes and cracks and hope it doesn't leak. I think it's doable. Just have to get serious about it.



To recap, it didn't leak in the summer of 2020, but leaked about 2" or more a day in the summer of 2021. Not acceptable.


No comments:

Post a Comment