Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, April 29, 2023

2023 Big Sit!

Yesterday was our 5th CMO Big Sit. We tallied more species than we had for any other of our Big Sits. I can't announce our total yet.* Here we are.



I had awakened at 4:30 AM, so decided to go to the oasis (from my nearby quarters) and see if I could get some nocturnal species. I put on an old pair of work jeans over my pants, because it was in the 40°s, planning to take them off when it warmed up. Totally forgot, but I did get all the night species that were here (Elf Owl, Great Horned Owl, Common Poorwill, and Lesser Nighthawk) The birding went great and we had fun. 


Midday, I took a nap, leaving the others to 'hold down the fort.' I missed a few species by doing that, but they count if any participant sees them from inside the "count circle." The Cape May Warbler was no longer at the oasis, unfortunately.


Today I was none the worse for the wear, and got the watering done. For the next week there'll be daily groups, so I'm going to hang around until Thursday. Here's a Lazuli Bunting I photographed yesterday.



Also this foraging Virginia's Warbler.


This Rose-breasted Grosbeak is from today. He seems very pleased with himself that he found a couple of unripe mulberries on a little volunteer bush near the water drip.




While watering today, I raised the lower drip basin up a bit, which will be better for photography. However, I'm positive the javelina will dislodge it if I don't concrete it in. We'll see.



People often ask me how many bird species the oasis has hosted. Per ebird, it's officially 272, but I know there are others that didn't have enough documentation to be accepted, not to mention the ones that surely stopped by when no one was there to see.

_____________________________________

* 2017 = 48 species

  2018 = 51 species

  2019 = 50 species

  2022 = 43 species


No comments:

Post a Comment