Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, April 6, 2023

Bear speculation

I'm still trying to figure out how a bear could have emptied at least 20 lbs. of birdseed from these tiny ports. (The feeder holds 60 lbs. but I only put 40 lbs in it when I'm there because that much should last well past my next visit.) No amount of turning or jiggling the feeder causes one seed to come out. There are no claw marks anywhere on the feeder. Hope to eventually get video evidence to figure it out. Because the feeder was empty, and because there was seed-laden poop around the oasis, I know somehow a bear did it.



I was greatly relieved to see no bear activity today when I arrived, and the feeder was nearly as full as I had left it, as it should always be. I'm thinking about putting only 20 lbs. in it, in the future, until I get the problem resolved.

Also, trying to figure out the size of the bear. If these paw prints are front paws, which I think they are, then the bear must weigh between 300-400 lbs., because the length of the paw from claw to opposite edge is over 8 inches. Hopefully, someone with more expertise than I have will weigh in.





After looking at the above photos, I regret not spending a little more time trying for better ones. I was focused on watering and getting back to town before dark.

I'm happy to report that since getting the hep C meds out of my system, my energy has returned. For two months I had been fighting fatigue. I actually watered today for nearly six hours, plus spent an hour patching in the stucco tank. No way could I have done all that in one day a week ago.

Gluing and taping the new hoses didn't work. I ordered one new hose and will use the one of the two the bear chewed that leaks the least, for now. Will eventually get another new one and put them in the back of my pickup when not in use.

The oasis is worth the trouble. So many people, including myself, get to enjoy it. Almost daily someone gets their lifer Lucifer this time of year, and sometimes multiple people get it in one day. Right now the ocotillo are in full bloom, so not many Lucifers at the feeders.

Ocotillo photo by my dear niece


9 comments:

  1. Gail Diane YovanovichApril 6, 2023 at 9:56 PM

    Wow! Those danged bears! Hope you’re feeling better.
    gailyovanphotos.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hardest working woman out there in the west! Thank you for all you do. So happy to hear your treatments have worked and you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann says Native American kids ate the Ocotillo blossoms like candy. Can't wait to try some. Hope they're yummier than Yucca blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for your nice words. I tried yucca years ago and found it rather tasteless. Haven't tried ocotillo. Guess I will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, so so worth it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, you have such a wonderful place in the Christmas Mountains, and the work you do IS worth it. So many fans of your oasis. Hope to be out there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the more birders that visit, the more worth it, it is!

      Delete
  7. Investigator Ohl on the case!

    ReplyDelete