Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Hanging on by a thread

Monday I endured the worst dental pain I've ever had, and I've had a lot. Will spare you the gory details. Got the last two broken implants removed and now healing. The dentist said it'd be up to a year before I can get new, then operational, implants, so he's going to make a temporary denture (for an extra $2000, of course). I hope that gets done soon. I know a person can survive on liquids, but not maintain optimal health. Not to mention loss of appetite and all other complications that go with it.


View from Terlingua Ranch road on way to oasis early AM

We're in a heat wave, record heat, I believe, so I had to water at the oasis. Things are still looking quite lush. Even had to cut weeds and branches out of the pathways. Lots of blooms, butterflies, and dragonflies to enjoy to the extent that I can tolerate the heat. Thankfully, the mosquito plague has abated.


The best bird of the day was a Crissal Thrasher at the water drip. I know they're around, but almost never seen. When the temperature reached 110,° that did the trick.



This dragonfly was perched too high for a good photo. It took me a while to figure out it was a Gray Sanddragon. Not a new oasis species, but nice, nevertheless!



Today I'll finish watering and weed-eating, then head back to town. Hanging on.



9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are facing such a dismal and painful ordeal.
    Carolyn, on the past, I have put roast beef, potatoes , carrots, and gravy through the blender and it tasted great. I have also made a chicken liver pate using the blender for my son when he had wisdom teeth removed. So, don’t give up on maintaining good nutrition. Use a blender or food processor to transform nourishing meals. Plenty of protein will help with healing and building more tissue.
    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your concern is appreciated. I do use a food processor to puree regular food. Without chewing, not enough saliva is generated leading to upset stomach and poor appetite and digestion. And I worry that at my age not chewing will weaken chewing muscles so that later on chewing will be difficult. I try to eat the regular things, but not possible. For example, apples have been a big part of my diet for my whole life. Can't tolerate a blender apple. And I attribute my good health to a high fat and protein diet. So difficult with a food processor. I'm doing my best, but worried that my previous good health will go downhill and I'll have to take all the meds other people my age take and no longer be able to take care of the oasis. A few weeks on liquid is ok, but many months? Very concerning and if I don't fight it, no one else will.

      Delete
  2. Crissal thatcher shot was awesome. Sending all good wishes and hopes that you heal up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your dental ordeal. I can’t imagine having to forego solid foods for that long. I’ll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, when I was 71 due to surgery and radiation I was unable to chew solid foods for over 6 months. My teeth were a little out of line when I did start but they sorted themselves out quickly. Once you get the temporary if not before, you will probably try softer foods at first so your muscles will rebuild if that is necessary-mine did ( I ate a lot of fish and eggs). I also filled in with a protein drink but thought Boost and Ensure were too sweet. If you try something like that as a temporary addition you might try Premier Protein brands which is less sweet, comes in 30 gram I think and you can mix in a protein powder as an additional amount of protein. I used vanilla since you can add anything for more flavor. Hang in there, you seem to have a tough row to hoe but you are a fighter. Good luck, things will get better. Tira Overstreet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know. Did you get your health back eventually? I also found protein drinks too sweet. I'll eat more eggs and try the Premier Protein. I hope you're doing good now.

      Delete
    2. I am doing great. I still have radiation and surgical effects but can eat most anything if I take it slow and with liquids. Re the protein powder-some of the plant based ones taste like straw or chalk to me, I use a whey based powder. None are perfect however but the give you a protein boost. Actually I for about 6 months I just chugged a liquid that Nestle's makes for people on a feeding tube (how I started) and mixed it with chocolate or eventually only coffee to dull the taste. It was calories and that's what I needed. You are in a better position to get on solid food soon. I like quiche also which is more eggs and anything else you can add. Everyone has to figure out what works best for them.. But you will do fine.

      Delete
    3. I bought some Premier Protein. Tastes so much better. Glad you told me about it.

      Delete