Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Bear encounter

Upon arriving at the oasis at daybreak, I walked around to check everything out, as I always do. As I traversed the path that goes around the [dry] dragonfly pond, I startled a bear foraging on acorns from a Chinkapin Oak tree that he had just finished demolishing. The bear departed too fast for me to get a photo. I guess it's good he was afraid of me. Not all bears are. He left plenty of evidence of his visit. For starters, that oak tree is now one-third the height it had been. It doesn't even bother me anymore. That tree has been doomed for years. Bears are continually breaking limbs off it, so all that was really left to do to it was to top it.



The bear will probably return tonight and no telling what it'll do next. It got into the bear-proof ground feeder too, but can only lick a little seed out of it, as far as I can tell. The feeder was still half full.



Also ate a lot of persimmons.



I just hope it leaves the hummingbird feeders alone. I fear it's just a matter of time... Still several Lucifers around, which is lovely. Here's a juvenile male. There's an adult male there too. Wondering if he's hanging around to make sure junior migrates properly.



The oasis is remarkably green considering it's November.



All the Evergreen Sumac are blooming. Maybe they'll make winter berries for the birds.




7 comments:

  1. Carolyn...I enjoy reading your blog so much...thank you for taking the time and making the effort to allow us to peek into your world! Tom McC, Lake McQueeney, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you really do see it all out there at the Oasis. Maybe bear spray just in case? Be careful Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your oasis has become a paradise for man, bird, and beast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are visiting BB on Dec 13. What birds are usually around at your oasis at the time? Will the Lucifers all be gone by then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucifers are gone. Should have Anna's Hummingbirds, Green-tailed Towhees and whatever else might show up. Could be good sparrows. Scaled Quail, etc. Probably around 20 species.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Can’t wait

      Delete
    3. Today I saw an Anna's and a Rufous, towhees, and not much of interest.

      Delete