Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, November 20, 2023

Sunny Glen

 Lovely weather today so I wanted to bird somewhere, but not drive a long way. Decided to try Sunny Glen. It's just west of Alpine a mile or two. I couldn't believe all the juniper berries dripping from the trees. Makes me think some good stuff might show up this winter. Like Lewis's Woodpeckers, Red Crossbills and who knows what else. Already a large flock of crossbills showed up in the Davis Mountains. Here's Mike Gray's photo of some of the flock. Exciting!



And here's a sampling of juniper berries from Sunny Glen. I'm not sure what species they are.



I didn't get out of my vehicle, just drove slowly along the roads there. Saw lots of Phainopeplas, and other birds eating the berries. Here's a Canyon Towhee with a berry. Terrible photo taken from inside my vehicle. Afraid if I got out I'd flush it.


Here's a pair of Phainopeplas, maybe guarding their berry territory.


I love Sage Thrashers too. I'm sure they're loving the bounty of berries.


My one sister and her daughter are finding lots of interesting flowers blooming near the oasis, and yesterday a birder saw a Lucifer Hummingbird still at the oasis. I'm going down tomorrow and sure would love to see one there.
 
Red Cyphomeris

My other sister captured this bear video on her trail cam. 



Things are "hopping!" Keeping us all on our toes. In Alpine, I documented five hummingbirds so far today of four species (Rufous, Broad-tailed, Allen's, & Anna's).


5 comments:

  1. I am glad you found some interesting birds close to home! The flower is gorgeous!
    The bear seems to be wearing a collar monitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of research is being done on bears and many are collared.

      Delete
  2. i see that this particular bear is collared

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn ... thank you so much for including me in your Blog. It will be a great resource for our trips to your place this spring. Good birding and Happy Thanksgiving!!.

    ReplyDelete