Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Nutting's Flycatcher success!

My third time looking for the Nutting's at Santa Elena Canyon (overlook) in Big Bend National Park was a win! I rode with Mike and Cecilia again. We were prepared to have to climb down from the overlook and bushwhack to the canyon, but hadn't been at the overlook but for a short while when we saw the pair of Nutting's. So instead of having to suffer for hours, we were left to figure out where to bird next.



I don't think my photos are really any better than the ones I took in 2012 that I had hoped to improve upon, but I think for the distance I did as well as my camera will do. No one ever thinks their photos are perfect enough, even some of the top photographers I know.


Looking slightly down from the overlook at the bird

 Next is my best one from 2012.


Looking slightly up into a tree at the bird

Here's Mike Gray's awesome photo, taken at the same time as I took mine. Sigh!


Anyway, it was great fun and I'm a happy camper. Today is supposed to be the last lovely warm day. I hate to waste it, but my body needs some recovery time and I need to catch up on things too.


5 comments:

  1. What a terrific photo! Congrats on getting that bird, you persevered. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's a bit over exposed. It's hard for me to tell when I'm out in strong light. Sometimes I think the camera is just right and the photo turns out too dark. Didn't have time to play with the settings, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good pictures. Happy you were successful.

    ReplyDelete