Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Oasis Costa's Hummingbird

Yesterday afternoon a birder friend, Pat Dwyer, visited the oasis and took lots of photos. He didn't have time to process his photos until this afternoon. One of the hummingbirds he photographed was ID'd by his Merlin app as a Costa's. So this afternoon he sent me a couple of the photos, asking my help in IDing it. It looked good for a Costa's to me, so I sent the photos to expert Kelly Bryan. He confirmed the ID. Naturally, I rushed down here, but didn't arrive until 5 PM. Although I watched the feeders until 6 PM, no Costa's showed up. Gonna try again tomorrow. Here's one of Pat's photos of the bird.



Meanwhile, I still have a juvenile Allen's in Alpine. This photo from today.



Seeing a few other nice birds lately too. Yesterday I saw a flock of Red Crossbills in Alpine, and today I watched a Zone-tailed Hawk soaring all over the town.



____________________________________


UPDATE: The Costa's was never seen again!


1 comment:

  1. Great birds. We’re anxious to get back to Big Bend and the CMO.

    ReplyDelete