Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Oasis today

My son and I went to the oasis this morning to service feeders. The weather was perfect. While there I saw a dead bat that doesn't look familiar. I'm not real familiar with bats at all, but sure don't recall seeing one with such big ears. Anyone know what kind it is?




It was disappointing that no Lucifer Hummingbirds have arrived yet, but I did see an Anna's. Maybe it'll nest here this year.



I'm doing pretty well with my teeth. Still can't chew steak. Enjoyed an apple, but a bit painful on the jaw. Gotta build muscles back up. Even chewing macaroni is a treat versus drinking it!


A couple of days ago I got my first Jeff Davis County (at Musquiz Lake) Eared Grebe.



____________________________________________


UPDATE: Bat identified as Western Mastiff


5 comments:

  1. Could the bat be a Rafinesque’s Big-eared Bat • (threatened)
    (Corynorhinus rafinesquii) or a Spotted Bat (threatened) • (Euderma maculatum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. Some of the suggestions I've received are Western Mastiff Bat and Freetail Bat. All input welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like one of the Bonneted Bats, I believe genus Eumops, but I’m certainly no expert on Trans-pecos bats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it may be a Western Mastiff Bat, Eumops perotis. Also known as a Western Bonneted Bat. It is obviously a member of the free-tailed group

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my sister go collect the bat today, so eventually we'll get an ID. A birder at the oasis late this afternoon saw tons of bats and one was a larger one, so maybe there was a pair of them.

    ReplyDelete