Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, May 6, 2012

A bit of luck

A group of Houston birders visited today, led by Adam Woods. I made it known to one and all that I was anxious ("desperate" was the actual word I used) to photograph the Yellow-throated Vireo if they should happen upon it. Adam located it once or twice but it was gone by the time I got to where he was with my camera. He also discovered a new yard bird for me, a Scarlet Tanager. I did get to see it, barely, but no one got photos. It seems to have left almost as soon as it arrived.

Anyway, after the group left, I hurried to start hauling water. After my first trip I went to the house (a block away) for some lunch. Rushing from the courtyard I flushed a bird. My binoculars and camera were in my vehicle. With just my naked eyes, I figured it might be a female Townsend's Warbler, or something, but just in case, I went for my camera and binoculars. Lo and behold, it was the vireo and I got over a dozen photos of it. What luck! Here it is from two different angles.



Here's a glimpse at how pitiful the vegetation is along the arroyo where I can't water.


No comments:

Post a Comment