Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, May 5, 2012

NEVER a dull moment

I went to Ft Stockton yesterday and bought 2 heavier duty springs, which we put on. So today I was back to hauling water, however, I'm not filling the tank; I'm putting in 75 gallons less in the hope it'll help save the springs.

Back at the oasis, as I was watering, keeping my camera near me, the Yellow-throated Vireo popped into view between me and the camera. (It's impossible to drag hoses, attach sprinklers, etc with the big heavy camera in hand. I can't hang it from a strap because the strap snags on things and yanks the camera off me. I learned that the expensive way.) I managed to follow its movements as I retrieved the camera, but couldn't get a clear shot before it disappeared. Maybe tomorrow, if it's still around. Here is all I got of it. I would say, better than nothing, but I'm not so sure.


I had a note from some birders that visited after I went to Alpine Thursday saying they had seen a rattlesnake catch a White-winged Dove. The location they described is the same place the Diamond-backed has been being seen in that shallow depression by the east feeder (called the bucket feeder). So I thought it would be fun to observe it to see what it caught tonight. I invited my sister to join me. We sat watching it for 2 hours, but it never caught anything, even though some sparrows practically stepped on it. Guess it was holding out for doves or quail.


See how well camouflaged it is.


And here's a closeup.



4 comments:

  1. On the Rattlesnake front, I recently wrote about what inspired me so for my love of nature and understanding and restoring and eventually creating healthy ecosysyems and other habitats. I use the term "Guerilla Habitat Restorationist because I established a Torrey Pine habitat in the 1970s as a kid and it still exists to this day, but greatly larger. In fact it was roped off with conservation habitat tape just before I left as a result of development which was going on.

    What I didn't write about was that over a period of 3 decades there was a rather huge western Diamondback Rattler up there in Rattlesnake Mountain (what else would it be called) in El Cajon CA where there was this dry narrow wash with a rocky ledge which has a series of crevices and this one resident Rattlesnake. Trust me, all those years when I visited and cared for those plants, I respected that snakes place. Besides I figured he would play an important role in keeping down the rodents and rabbits which wanted to make a meal of my plantings.

    I understand that Rattlesnakes stake out a territory claim and live around that area most of their lives. Have you also noticed this there ?

    Thanks for the updates - Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truthfully, I've always been so afraid of someone getting bit that I've removed all venomous snakes from my oasis. I figured there's plenty of nonvenomous ones to fill the void. However, this one seems to pretty much stay put, so I'm debating whether to leave it be or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Franni TourtellotMay 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM

    I visited you with Woody Wheeler and I think you are the most remarkable women I have met in a very, very long time. Your habitat is wonderful and the amount of work to keep it up is awe inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you most sincerely. I enjoyed your visit. I must say, keeping my oasis alive is the most difficult it's ever been. Today it poured rain in Alpine. Surely, my turn's coming soon.

    ReplyDelete