Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, February 21, 2015

A taste of spring

The last few days have been between 70-80° and very lovely. In a couple of days we're forecast for colder weather, but I'm sure enjoying this while it lasts. Last February I was so busy coating the stucco tank that I got behind on spring projects. Fall is busy with dragonflies, birds, butterflies, and banding. Summer is too hot, and winter is too cold, so spring is the best time for me to get things done. I never catch up, especially on road work, but I keep plugging away. Today I did some more pruning in the courtyard. There was a huge overgrown ugly Littleleaf Sumac blocking one area of the patio, so I severely pruned it.


It's always a hard call as to what to prune and what not to. Vegetation cools the courtyard and provides food and cover for the birds. That bush also sheltered the Mexican Elder from the north (stumps visible beneath center arch.) But other more desirable things are growing and it's nice to have the courtyard a little more manicured than the oasis. I did leave the erect trunk of the bush, although since it's not leafed out it'll be hard to see on this photo. The above view looks east. The below view looks west.


There are quite a few butterflies, which surprises me. Here are a few from today.


Top to bottom: American Snout, Common Sootywing, Painted Lady, and Checkered White. Also seen, but not photographed, were Sleepy Oranges, Pipevine Swallowtail, Reakirt's Blue, and some little yellow one that didn't land. Probably a Mexican Yellow. And Southern Dogface and Desert Checkered-Skipper. Probably others.

Very few flowers to be seen. These have been blooming for several weeks but I don't know what they are called.


Here is a photo of what's left of the courtyard Littleleaf Sumac. The vertical stems are about 9' tall so they should grow prolifically soon.


2 comments:

  1. Great time of year coming up. I can't wait for Connie and I to get back down there. Looks very promising that we will have a good wildflower show and maybe a great spring migration.
    I believe the yellow flowered plant is one of the many varieties of Coreopsis Verticillata. They are very durable perennials. Hope to see you in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's going to be exciting. Good wildflowers for sure but sometimes the birds disperse when there's plenty to eat and don't come to the oasis. Especially Lucifer Hummingbirds. Look forward to your visit either way.

    ReplyDelete