Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Herald of spring at CMO

I feel like I'm waking up after a long hibernation. Was very surprised to see a Henry's Elfin since my redbud, their host plant, hasn't really started blooming.


But with a name like "redbud," I'm not sure to what degree they actually bloom. Here are the potential blooms on the Mexican Redbud tree.



Since I found the Green-tailed Towhee feathers the other day I was worried that I didn't have that species present anymore, but I saw one today, so was glad about that.


Tomorrow I'm going to go to Lajitas and explore the newly discovered marked birding trail. My son, who plays golf there every week, told me they've installed a solar pump that's pumping water down a stream causing it to run twice as far as it used to. I already don't have the energy to lug my gear that far. It's way at the southeast end next to the national park, but sometime when Kelly and I ride a golf cart this summer it'll be so fun to look for dragonflies there. Speaking of dragonflies, I saw a Variegated Meadowhawk today but couldn't catch it for a try at scanning.




No comments:

Post a Comment