Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Lovely day!

The weather was perfect, no mosquitoes yet, so I spent a couple of hours just sitting by the dragonfly pond.


I saw two species that had been documented at the oasis only once before. One was this female Great Blue Skimmer. Years ago Kelly Bryan had photographed that species at the oasis, but I didn't get a photo of it. Not sure I even saw it. So this is a new species for me.


Last month I discovered the first Chalky Spreadwing at the oasis, but it wasn't a mature male like the one I found today, so that was exciting too.


I can only imagine what great species I'd discover if I spent more time looking. I found another interesting species at the back water feature but it disappeared before I could identify or photograph it.


Only saw one Lucifer Hummingbird today, a juvenile male. Either something they love is blooming elsewhere or they're migrating early.


No comments:

Post a Comment