Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, November 1, 2020

Birding four locations

 I started off my day tallying 19 species at our ponds in town. I love this Hermit Thrush shot. I put out the sprinkler hoping to attract birds to it, not even realizing it would also make a nice bird bath. Gonna do it on purpose next time.



Next, Dale and I headed to Marathon. I had low expectations this time of year and all. Our first stop was a small habitat at an RV park in Marathon where we counted 18 species. 


American Robin

Next we went to Post Park where we were pleasantly surprised to see Western Bluebirds, as well as some nice ducks. Tallied 15 species there.



Redhead

Western Grebe

The grebe was a new Brewster County bird for us. On our way to the park we saw a deer hung up on a water tank. It finally freed itself. Some tense moment for us.



At the park we saw this very pregnant looking Javelina. Never a dull moment!



Finally, we made a quick stop at Gage Gardens for 13 species. It was a Sunday and there were a lot of people there with their kids, but that didn't stop it from being loaded with birds.... mostly White-crowned Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers. We did see a female Black-throated Green Warbler,  but I wasn't fast enough to get a good photo of it. 




As I've learned to do, I took a quick documentary shot without really taking the time to focus in case it flew, and it did.


2 comments:

  1. Ah another great day. Even the deer event turned out well...I am always alarmed when I see s deer caught in anything. They'll l just go ahead and die. But you had a nice ending to that bit. Love the ducks and grebes.....think I've never seen a western grebe here in Central TX but I used to enjoy their cousins,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a video of the deer jumping free. Need to get it posted.

      Delete