Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Feeder vandal identified

 I guess I had the cam too far from the feeder and it didn't get enough light, but was able to identify a Ringtail. Couldn't see how he got onto the feeder. Seemed he leapt onto it from somewhere causing the feeder to spin around. The he hung from the feeder and apparently caused feed to fall to the ground where he then lapped it up.




 I'll experiment  until I figure more out. All I can see on the video clips on the feeder are his eyes. Meanwhile he shredded the pad that was at the base of the feeder so we're going to make a round metal grate instead. I don't mind him eating the seed. It's not a noticeable amount.

Today I saw a Slate-colored Junco at the feeder. That makes the fifth junco subspecies of Dark-eyed Junco I've had there this year. I already posted photos of the other four (Oregon, Gray-headed, Red-backed, and Pink-sided).



What a great fall migration it has been!


2 comments:

  1. Glad you are having a good migration time. In town these days, I don't know how it's going.....juncos I always loved. And what a treat to have a mountain bluebird. I was always thrilled with the western ones in the summer. Familial bathing in the birdbath. Seems no one ever came by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great migration for birders isn't necessarily great for the birds who are desperate to find a haven. My son was pretty sure there was more than one Mountain Bluebird but he's a beginning birder so only counts what he photographs.

    ReplyDelete