Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Not summer

 It's said there are two seasons here, summer and not summer. Today was a lovely day so I don't really care which season it is. Seems autumn-like though with the leaves turning and falling. Here are the soapberry trees above the upper dam. They're doing good, probably because the soil is deeper there than it is above the middle dam.

 


The soapberries there are struggling. Their leaves died quite some time ago.


This next photo is the oasis path to the back water feature. I did a little watering today but didn't get much done. 


Throughout the years of the oasis's existence the non-native fruit trees I planted have all died, which is fine. I didn't expect them to live longer than they did. But it's really good that the native species have thrived because of my watering, and the dams, and provided berries for the birds this year. You recall the bumper crop of persimmons above the middle dam a month or so ago, for example. And now I see this large bush, Warnock's Snakewood (Condalia Warnockii) has lots of berries on it.


These are hard times. Hard to not let it get to me. Age-related health issues on top of the pandemic, drought, and all the normal family problems people have. Just because I don't blog all about the family's problems doesn't mean it doesn't weigh heavily on me. My bed time, I can tell....


No comments:

Post a Comment