Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, June 11, 2022

Another family emergency

 As if my daughter's brain tumor wasn't enough to deal with, now my husband was air lifted to emergency surgery in Odessa, where I'm writing this from. I'm stuck here and not sure when I'll be able to get back to the oasis. Meanwhile, my son is planning to go water Monday.


My daughter is doing good, thank goodness, and they say my husband is. He had fallen and broken ribs on May 30, the same day my daughter was in ICU in Austin. I had wanted to take him to the ER but he insisted there's nothing to be done for broken ribs but let them heal. Finally, day before yesterday, he had pain in his stomach, besides the ribs, and decided I should take him to the ER where they might prescribe him something for pain. He could barely move. I pushed him into the ER in one of the hospital wheelchairs.



The doctor did a C-scan and without even paying any attention to the ribs, immediately noticed air accumulating in his stomach area. Bad. They decided to immediately transfer him by helicopter to Odessa and into surgery. (Later the doctor told me he had five broken ribs.)


By the time I drove to Odessa he was already in surgery. His daughter lives closer and was able to see him for a few minutes before surgery.


When he came out of surgery they told us they had removed half his colon, but couldn't close things up until Sunday (tomorrow). He had a perforated colon that they didn't think was related to the fall. Meanwhile, they had to keep him asleep. So that's where we're at tonight. Will update when able. I'm on a borrowed computer. Couldn't make this happen with my phone.



The next couple of months are going to be real challenging.


3 comments:

  1. Praying for you all. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry to hear this. Hopefully everyone will be much improved soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carolyn I am so sorry to hear this about Hugh and your daughter. I am thinking of you all . Mike and I can do anything you need us to do. Please let us know what you need.

    ReplyDelete